Electrical safety is essential in every home. It is the responsibility of the household head to educate every family member about safe ways to utilize electricity. He also has the prime responsibility to ensure electrical maintenance and safety at home to avoid electricity-related accidents and injuries.

Children are more vulnerable to sustaining electrical injuries given their lack of knowledge, curiosity, and playfulness. Apart from teaching them the basics about electrical safety, adults should likewise continue to supervise children and keep electrical contraptions out of their reach.

Children and electrical safety

Once they are old enough to understand basic concepts relating to electricity, like what electrical plug and water are all about, parents and adults should already educate young kids about electrical safety. They should know that electricity and water should not, and should never mix and that they could seriously get harmed once this happens.

Adults should likewise not just rely on educating their children, as the children might not have digested the information, or may not remember it all the time. Supervision and constant reminders are important to ensure electrical safety at home.

Childproofing the house

Homes with babies and toddlers who may not understand electrical safety concepts yet must be fully supervised especially in areas where they could encounter electrical fixtures and appliances. Apart from electrical injuries, they too could trip, or even get strangled on wires. They could also get choked on some fixtures and so it is crucial to supervise them all the time and at the same time childproof the house.

Once a baby learns to crawl, parents should endeavor to childproof their 

whole home. Electrical outlets should remain covered. Outlets that are in areas where water could get into it like the kitchen, the bathroom, the garage, and the laundry area should be upgraded into GFCI outlets. GFCI outlets or ground fault circuit interrupter is a special kind of power outlet that automatically goes off when water gets into the outlet or the device that is plugged into it. 

Homeowners should likewise refrain from using power strips and just have additional covered outlets installed within their homes. If power strips are needed, then these should be out of children’s reach. Power trips are notorious in electrocuting toddlers, as they could easily stick some metal object like a fork on it or could easily spill liquid on these contraptions.    

Electrical safety at home

Unfortunately, it is not just children that fall victim to electrical injuries. Adults, the elderly, and even pets could sustain the electric shock. Usually, the injury happens due to ill-maintenance of the home electrical system. 

For instance, using an already worn-out electrical outlet, or daisy-chaining plugs could cause power overloads. Power overloads could spark electrical fires that do not only damage property structures but could also claim the lives of household members.

Property owners should then make sure that the home’s electrical system remains in a safe condition. By regularly inspecting the home electrical systems, and scheduling periodic electrical safety inspections, electrical accidents and emergencies are averted. He should likewise have every electrical problem repaired as soon as they happen.